One day Stained Glass Mosaics course
Mosaics can be made with many different materials but we’ll be using coloured glass which will look beautiful when the light shines through it. You can create an abstract pattern, create an image, use mirror glass – you could even do your mosaic on a bottle or a glass vase.
What you will be learning:
- Firstly, if you haven’t done it before, you will learn how to cut glass safely. It’s really not too difficult after a bit of practice.
- Then, when you’ve decided on a design, you need to choose your colour scheme and cut out the pieces of glass or use some of the pieces I have ready cut if you prefer. Most of the pieces will be quite small.
- Once the glass is cut each piece then needs to be stuck to your base piece of clear glass. They need to be stuck on well so they don’t move and so that the grout can’t get underneath.
- You’ll need to give your panel a lead frame so you have something to hang it from. I’ll show you how to solder the lead frame together.
- You will then need to fill all the gaps with grout to keep your mosaic secure.
- While the grout is drying it’s a good time for a cup of tea.
- Finally, you will need to attach rings for hanging your piece and then clean and polish it.
You can bring your own designs or find something that inspires you once you get here. I suggest you have a look on Google or Pinterest for ‘stained glass mosaic patterns’ or just ‘mosaic patterns’ to get some ideas for what you’d like to make. Try not to choose anything too complicated so we can be sure you finish. You might also like to decide whether you’d like a square panel or an oblong to start with.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a design before you come, I have plenty here.